Let’s take a break from heady matters of civilization, science & politics, turning to bold science fiction adventures of the mind! A dozen projects - both new and some long-awaited re-issues - are coming together all at once… some available now and others in the near future. For example:
- All the Uplift novels!
- Re-issues of The Postman and The Practice Effect!
- Both of my long-lost series of Young Adult novels.
- A hilarious comedy pastiche of Star Trek and monster flicks!
- A stage play about sci fi vs. the devil! And screenplays.
… and much more. See details below. And how to order!
== You’ll love these right away, I hope ==
* Re-issued classics! — All three carefully re-edited and two of them with Patrick Farley covers! New intros!
* And soon, more restored classics. These long awaited (and edited) re-issues have been cleaned-up with new covers and introductions by the author! Coming from Open Road in May!
- Startide Rising,
- The Uplift War,
- Brightness Reef,
- Infinity’s Shore and
- Heaven’s Reach.
The ESCAPE - my new stage play - is a way-too-clever-for-its-own-good bit of theater about an insufferable smartass arguing with the devil. Yeah, that old trope… done with entirely new concepts and flair. (Table-reading troupes are welcome! Do let me know.) Order now!
* “David Brin’s Out of Time” series of YA novels about teens from across history uniting to save a future utopia. First in the series - Yanked! - by sci fi legend Nancy Kress, is available to pre-order now. Soon volumes by the mighty Sheila Finch and Roger McBride Allen… followed by more in 2021!
* And soon: The Colony High series! Aliens kidnap a California high school and live to deeply regret it. You’ll love it. Volume 1 - a shorter version - won the Hal Clement Young Adult Award. Soon from Ring of Fire Press.
* Is that enough? No way! In 2021 Subterranean Press will issue the long awaited compilation of my top short fiction in The Best of David Brin.
* And available right now for free! Some of my past sci fi has been more pertinent than I’d want! My Hugo-nominated story “The Giving Plague” explores our complex relationships with viruses. Get it free.
== Nonfiction food for the serious-minded ==
* Vivid Tomorrows: Perspectives on Science Fiction and Hollywood, collects my very best criticism and deep analysis of how sci fi - especially in film - has often elevated … or messed with… our values, expectations and minds. Coming soon from MacFarland Press. Two decades of deep insights and shallow rants about everything from Star Wars to Avatar to Dune, to Buffy, to Tolkien and those darned “300” Spartans!
* And yes, I am still touting Polemical Judo - my ‘political book’ - which offers 100+ original and effective tactics that no pundit or politician seems yet to grasp. Some would have turned this vital election into the predicted rout! And yes, most of the fresh tactical suggestions and concepts are (alas) still relevant. Download free chapters.
So, for those of you asking "What's Brin been doing?" Now you know part of it. The part not involving science and NASA and all that. Clearing decks on some of these things, at last. So I can write again.
== And finally, for any movie-maker people out there ==
* Screenplays and Teleplays and TV series treatments! Most recent is “The Tumbledowns” - my exciting adventure set in a sort of Steam-punk future under the oceans of Venus! The acclaimed novella was in my 3rd collection Insistence of Vision... and soon in the Best of Brin compilation! But now there's a dynamite screenplay and TV arc treatment, as well.
Others include excellent scripts and treatments of stories like
“The Giving Plague”
“The Loom of Thessaly”
“A Stage of Memory” and
“Doctor Pak’s Preschool.”
And yes there are excellent scripts for Kiln People and The Practice Effect and Glory Season. Plus whole TV series arcs for the Out of Time and for Colony High series. Plus a couple of manic romps almost no one has ever seen.
Producers - with some cred - are invited to get in touch!
== Stay safe out there… ==
…and believe in civilization. There’s a galaxy of species out there waiting for one - perhaps us - to become good and smart enough to head forth and rescue the rest!
Start by buying books.